I was in the car and on my way to pick up Brooklyn from school when the whole plot hit me. I had been praying for God to direct me as I developed and began to write this, but I had no idea to what heights He was going to take it. Now, before you start thinking that I turned out some 'Lillenas' type of program, I want to warn you that this was very "gradeschool". :) But still there is not a doubt in my mind that He used me and worked through me as I begin to write.
The setting was a Kids Summer Camp called B.U.G.S. Inc.(Building Up God's Servants), think Parent Trap, but only Christian and insect based.:) There were 3 main characters; Sam - a sweet, Christian girl that was so happy to be at camp, Claire - a naughty, mischevious, grumpy, church going, prankster that DID NOT want to be there, and lastly, Peggy - a bug loving, smart, factual little girl that was unsaved, but was there to learn more about bugs.
Counselor Cheryl was my mom and her title implied that she was incharge and therefore, she led all the songs, Bible verse, etc. and sort of acted like any children's director would, but all the while remaining in character.:) I was blessed to have my sister, Chera play the character of Claire; my sis-in-law, Rochenda played Sam, and I was Peggy. This to me was the most nerve wracking part of all. I don't claim to be an actor, at least not of Chera's calibur anyway, but found that the need far outweighed my selfish pride and I gave in and at that point it all seemed to come together.
Rochenda and I worked diligently on creating the set or scenes if you will. We made most everything beforehand and took it with us. We overcame MANY obstacles, the biggest of which was that we had to tear down and set up each day. This was more that I or we bargained for, but we did it, it worked, but we said NEVER again! We found it not only exhausting, but also very limiting. Not only were we having to haul everything that we needed for camp with us to McCall, but we soon realized that less had to be more because we weren't allowed to begin decorating until after 10:30 p.m. each evening. This caused MANY late nights and MANY early mornings!!! This did turn out to be the hardest part of all, but we made it and lived to tell about it.
Chera, Rochenda, and I would find ourselves each morning an hour before it was to start, running lines and practicing where we should stand, sit, whatever. And this was not done on the set, but rather in my Mom's room at camp. We couldn't practice in the main room because the children were in there waiting for it to start. Just a funny note - Kidz Service did not start until 10:30 each morning, but by 9:45 they were already in their seats and WAITING for us 3 to come down and start. They LOVED is and couldn't wait for it to begin each morning. That was fun and so rewarding!
I won't go into to the whole story line, but each day we would examine one 'good' bug & one 'bad' bug. The characters in the story would protray something from each bug on that particular day. In the end, Claire changes her attitude and asks for forgiveness and Peggy gets saved.
Each child was given their own bug kit on the first day and were told to try to collect the bugs that we talked about. We also incorporated a craft that went along with the 'good' bug each day and the kids loved that. They were able to take the craft home and this was to try and re-inforce what they had been taught thorough out the week. We also had a scripture that they had to memorize and at the end of Camp if they had said all 4 they got to choose a cool prize from the prize box.
All in all it was a fun time. We came home exhausted, but also fulfilled. My main reason for doing it was for my very own children. I wanted them to get to experience camp the way that I did when I was a kid and I think that in some small way they did. I give God ALL the credit, for without Him nothing would have turned out the way it did. I thank Him for using me and felt blessed to be a part of His bigger plan.

Scene 1 - the trash on the floor was part of the skit.:)




In the Woods scene

One of the crafts.:)

Digging in the Word.

Examination Station

The Tent scene

The Lake scene

The 3 characters.:)

The dish washing scene

Typical sweet Sam expression.

Typical grumpy Claire face.

A typical Peggy laugh.

Claire threw water on Peggy.

Sam telling Claire that she wasn't being very Christ-like.

Claire asking for forgiveness.


Claire finding her butterfly in 'Butterfly Meadow'. (She found a real Swallow Tail - it was part of our act, but still I was so excited that the Lord helped us to find one to place in the garden area and that it stayed there until we were ready!)

Peggy receiving her wings.

The pinning ceremony. Each child received their "wings" - we likened it to when we get to Heaven (if we have Jesus in our hearts) and we get our angel wings.

Some of the kids painting their butterfly craft.

Just a few of the kids singing up front on Sunday in the shirts that they made at Kidz Camp.





0 comments:
Post a Comment