This year was a little different for me, not only was a struggling with being sick from pregnancy, I was also asked to direct the Children's Christmas Program for our church. They first asked me back in early September and being pregnant was far from my mind and therefore, I said, "yes!" There was a specific request by all of the many parents to just have a basic program where the story of the Nativity was told by the children. I immediately set to work on writing pieces for all the the characters of the story to memorize and say, as well as getting together songs to coincide with the differents parts and get them onto posters. It took well over a month to get all of this put together and organized, parts assigned, and children & parents informed of what the plan for practicing was. I stated from the very beginning that in order to be in the program you had to commit by the first part of November, that I would not take any late comers. Call that rude if you would like, but if you have ever been charge of a Children's Program there is nothing more frustrating than having additions to your program arrive on Christmas Sunday morning expecting to be in the program. I have allowed this before, learned my lesson and have decided that isn't the thing for me, nor is it fair to the children who have faithfully come and practiced for the months prior.
We started having practices on Sunday mornings in October. I had 16 kids ages 3-1st grade. It was somewhat of a challenge at first, that is indeed a wide span. But in time, I was able to let the children know that if you were going to be in the program you must behave. I was blessed, the children and I developed a wonderful relationship and practices went quite smoothly. I also had tremendous support from the parents and people of the church. Everyone was so excited, volunteered to help in anyway possible and for a first program at Lewiston First Nazarene, it went well.
The children were thrilled with their costumes, the parents were thrilled with their child's participation, and I was thrilled that it went so well. Perhaps there will be another one next Christmas.

My Mary & Little Wiseman

Mary getting ready to sing her solo.

The star & the 3 wisemen



Christmas Sunday family photo. I was blessed to have my parents attend our kids programs this year and it meant the world to me!
0 comments:
Post a Comment