CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 20, 2007

And She's Off!

I can remember the day as if it were yesterday, my Mom taking me into sit down at my desk for the first day of Kindergarten, Mrs. Campbell coming over to tell us goodmorning, my Mom giving me a hug and telling me good-bye, holding back the tears as she walked away, and then having them fall as she peeked at me one last time through those long glass windows at the door, and with that she was off. The thought of it still brings tears to my eyes, but only this time it is a little different, I am the one standing at the door peeking one last time as I wave goodbye to Brooklyn. Kindergarten, the starting of a new chapter in all of our lives, and this morning it was Brooklyn's turn.

Last evening, Brooklyn's school, CCS, did the neatest thing. Of course they had regular orientation like any other school, but while we were out having our meeting, the children were all in their respective classrooms with their teacher and all their other classmates. Not only did they get to meet each other, but the teacher took that time to explain what they would be doing with the next morning, how they were to line up, who was going to be doing what in the class room for the week, (ie. Brooklyn is the teacher's helper, someone else the line leader, etc) and then they all did a craft together. When the parents returned, we all saw our children sitting like they will on a normal school day, she had them stand up and push in their chairs, like she had taught them while we were out and then show us how they are to line up. It was so wonderful for the children and helped Brooklyn going into school this morning to know what to expect!!

I got up while the sun was just coming over the hill, probably because I couldn't sleep any longer, but really wanting the time to collect myself and be ready to face this day. Over and over in my mind I kept thinking, "this is it, this is the day that I send my little girl off to school all by herself, and it is just the beginning." All morning I wanted to cry, but to be truthful I couldn't for I had played up this moment so much to Brooklyn that if she was to see her Mommy cry it would have spoiled her joy! In truth, I gained my strength and resolve not to cry from her. The excitement over getting to finally wear her new school jumper and shoes, as well as finishing her craft from the night before, was catching, it even made the dreaded getting her hair combed fun. I really don't think that much could have dampened her mood. All the way to school she was total smiles and non-stop chatter, telling us all about how she still had to glue her mouse together from last evening. I walked her into her classroom, we hung up her backpack and went over to her desk. Immediately, Mrs Trigsted came over and said good morning. "This was it, I was reinacting my first day of school all over again, but this time I am the Mom and" ...as if sent from Heaven itself, she interrupted my thinking and started explaining to Brooklyn that she could finish up her mouse from last evining. That was it, I was distracted and so was Brooklyn. I gave her a big hug, told her I would be back at 11:20 to pick her up and walked away. I looked back to see her smiling, busy as a bee gluing her mouse together and it was at that moment that I realized that everything was going to be fine and I was off.




7 comments:

Anonymous

Awww Valerie you about have me crying! I remeber when Dana turned 5 and I decided to home school partly because I couldn't bear the moment you described and of course I wanted to teach her to read! Brooklyn looked cute and you are a brave mom!

Monday August 20, 2007 - 12:53pm (MDT)

Anonymous

Hope Brooklyn's first day went well. Brianna's did and she was one excited little gal!! I too had too swallow many lumps...but had made it such an exciting thing...that my tears would definitely made her question this BIG day!
Hope to post some pics soon! have a good week!

Monday August 20, 2007 - 03:12pm (EDT)

Anonymous

Loved the pics and the nostalgic reminiscing. I,too, have vivid memories of kindergarten: the classroom with kid size kitchen, round tables, xeroxed coloring pages, and books (I liked the Ferdinand the Bull story). All too soon, it will be Rena's turn, and while I want her to enjoy school as much as I did, and still do!, I won't be hurrying these days any too soon! She's playing with Brittan's Elmo Head, turning Elmo into an Elephant, @ my feet as I type this. I wouldn't mind if time stood still...

Monday August 20, 2007 - 07:50pm (MDT)

Anonymous

I thought of you guys all day. I so remember the feeling - and I am getting ready to feel it all over again Wednesday! I am glad it all went well, and she just looked adorable! It makes it so much easier when they enjoy it!

Monday August 20, 2007 - 09:50pm (MDT)

Anonymous

Your blog moved me to tears!!! It was so sweet, she looked adorable, happy and excited. You are a wonderful mom, and I pray that Brooklyn will have the best Kindergarten experience that she will never forget. I'm sure she won't forget Mommy taking the time to fix her hair pretty, pack her backpack and be right by her side that first moment of school and every moment of her life.

Tuesday August 21, 2007 - 12:09am (EDT)

Anonymous

I remember when it was my little girl's first day of school seems like yesterday....YIKES a freshman now. Thanks for sharing...Uncle Chad

Tuesday August 21, 2007 - 04:25pm (PDT)

Anonymous

I feel your pain! I am not one of those Moms who look forward to their kids going to school, either at the end of summer vacation nor for the first day of Kindergarten. At least I still have two home with me to enjoy...for now. Your daughter looks adorable and I'm sure she'll enjoy her first year of school. While I don't like sending them off to school I'm glad my kids enjoy it.

Tuesday August 28, 2007 - 09:38am (EDT)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...