Brooklyn was so excited when I told here that Nana was getting to come for a few days. She shared it with her class as a praise and they counted the days down with her until Nana arrived. You can imagine how much her excitement grew when she realized that she was going to get to have her Nana attend chapel at school. Unbeknownst to Brooklyn, chapel was the main reason that Nana came up. Brooklyn was to receive the 'Godly Character Award' this month and was being presented with it in chapel. And for those of you who are not at all familiar with CCS and their ways I will give you a little background.
CCS honor a student or students each month for Godly Character Traits that they exemplify throughout the school year. By the years end everyone has received an award, no one is excluded. This was something that was another selling point for us on the school. We, my mom, my sisters, and myself attended a chapel last year while we were checking out the school and were so amazed at how the awards were handled and for what they were given out for. I can remember sitting there in awe as I watched all the other students that were not being honored, sitting there with huge smiles on their faces, cheering as the others were having their turn receiving the award and thinking that this was totally amazing. And the reason for this, well, they had either already received their award or knew that their turn was still to come. They had the reassurance that they themselves were special to that teacher as well, and could then in turn be genuineally happy for their other school mates!
When I grew up, award ceremonies were political. Based upon who your parents were, what your family's financial status was, what church you attended, what position your family held in the church, if you were teacher's pet, etc. you were awarded. It was extremely hurtful for those who sat there year after year and never received an award. I can remember it now, it would be time for your class awards, your heart would start to pound, you would think that they were perhaps talking about you and by the time they had finished describing the person you were sure it was you, only to be disappointed again because it was the same person or persons that received the award the year before. And once again you, and all the other students, went home empty handed and so very disappointed. I can remember so vividly my parents making sure that we didn't derive our self-esteem from these ceremonies, but rather instilling into all of us, all the love in the world into our own hearts and minds, making sure that we still knew that we were indeed special! I am sure that in their 'parent minds and hearts' they were devastated and crushed, because I now know what it feels like to be the parent. You hurt when your child hurts! And so they constantly reminded us that we were the most wonderful, adorable, special children in all the world and because of their outpourings we were able to go on.
When I had my children and school became a reality, we, Brook and I, were determined to choose an institution where we felt our children would be not only well educated, but also, well loved! And we found it! We think it to be so wonderful that they choose a character trait, something that every single person posesses, and honor them for that. In doing so, they are making it known to that child, and all the others, that this is something of value, something that you want to patteren yourself after. It gives them an identity for a particular qualitiy, not an accomplishment. Not that I think accomplishments shouldn't be honored, rather quite the opposite. But when you are dealing with school-aged children, comparision can breed competition. Not everyone is athletic or musical, but everyone has a good character trait. (Now I will stop prattling on and get back to my origional post)
Brooklyn was honored for 'Contentment'. Mrs Trigsted said, "Thank you for always showing others a peace and joy in all you do. It is evident that the joy in knowing Jesus fills you with all you need." We were so proud and so was her Nana and aunts!
As to their little skit, PRECIOUS! is the best way to describe it! They acted out to a little song about how they pray to God telling Him about their day and thanking Him for how much He loves them even though they didn't do everything perfectly throughout their day. I am not a crier, but I have to tell you I had tears running down my face when I heard them singing in their little voices, "I'm reminded how much God loves me!" It was so precious!!!! My family wouldn't have missed it for the world and we are so thankful that they were able to be there.

Dressed and ready for chapel to start.

'Praying' in their skit.

Acting our her part in the skit.

Waiting while teacher is telling her why she is receiving her award.

I know this one is dark, but I thought it was so cute because they are intently studying their awards.

Showing us her award.

Brooklyn & Mrs. Trigsted





2 comments:
I'm glad that you love our school! We love having you as an addition to the CCS family. Isn't God SO good? It was good to see Nana and your sisters...what a special weekend for you and I'm sure Brooklyn will be full of stories next week! Blessings! W
good post! how'd you get the visitor's map up?
Post a Comment