Having gone to private schools my entire K-12th grade, the word fundraiser means a whole lot to me. We did everything from selling candy to candles, auctions, walk-a-thons, raffle tickets, etc. If it 'made' money, we did it. I never enjoyed the selling part, still don't, but the functions that involved everyone being together always meant fun for all! After graduation, fundraiser was a word that I never cared to hear again and really never thought about, until this year. We are back in the private school world and guess what, fundraiser is all we seem to hear about these days! Realizing that I have another 12+ years of them doesn't excite me all that much. I hate having to ask other people for money or to buy something, but in order for these type of schools to function properly, we all know, it is what we have to do. So I have had to shove my "UGH" under the rug and get to work! All that being said, CCS has a fundraiser that I have never heard before and it changed the word from fundraiser to 'fun'raiser for us all.
Cow Plop, what a fun, origional idea! We have been selling tickets and preparing for Cow Plop for weeks now and I wasn't sure until yesterday what we were really in for. It really is a harvest type, festival with games, booths, animals for the kids to pet, tractor rides, food, etc and the cow plopping. There is a big field that has been marked off with 2600+ squares in it, then they send in a cow and he does his "plopping", a nice and tactful way of saying pooping, on these maked squares. The first square that he plops on is worth $200.00, the second $500.00, and the grand plop is worth $1000.00. The farmer feeds the cow lots of oats, hay and prunes, timing it in such a way that he is ready to 'plop' when turned loose into the field. Everyone stands along the fence line rooting for the cow, Bob in this case, to 'plop' on their square. It really is a hoot and everyone gets into it!
Having never gone to this type of a event before, we really didn't know what to expect, but we were in for a fun-filled day. It was very chilly, only about 34 degrees when we started out and warming up to about 57 degrees by later afternoon. The sunshine was a blessing and a nice change from the rainy weather earlier in the week. The kids loved playing all the different games that they had and especially enjoyed the jumping castle. My husband tried several different goodies from the food tents, I wasn't hungry, and he said that they were great. Brittan was so excited when they finally turned Bob, the cow, loose in the pasture and started yelling at the top of his little lungs, "doe dinky towe" (go stinky cow), everyone knew exactly what he was saying. I died of embarrassment amd tried to make him say it more quietly, but...I think that he had a little encouragement from his Dad, although he won't admit it!! The cow loved Brittan which made it all the worse, because he kept coming up close to the fence where we were standing and Brittan would start in again. Kids, you gotta love them and in this case, I do believe that he was innocent and that it was his father egging him on.
We finally loaded up and headed home around 4:30 and it was two very tired, but happy kids that we took home. This was indeed a great 'fun'raiser and we can't wait for next year!
.







1 comments:
Thanks for sharing!
Monday October 29, 2007 - 10:43am (MDT)
Post a Comment