
Ready to skate

Sharleen & the girls

Ashley, Brooklyn, & Cole

Cole Helping the Girls

Me & My Friend Sharleen

Good Buds!

Brooklyn & Ashley eating before they go skate
I haven't roller skated for years and used to love it as a child. I spent countless hours playing with my oldest sister, LaRona, pretending that we were "professional skaters" traveling around the country, performing our show. As part of 'Spirit Week' yesterday, the entire school rented the Rollaway for a few hours and skated the afternoon away. Being the mother of a Kindergartener, we were required to accompany our child. Prior to going, I had gone over in my mind about how it was going to be to try to attempt something that I used to be good at, but hadn't tried in a very LONG time. I was pretty confident that I would be able to pull off a few turns around the room, but that confidence faded when I walked in and saw what was going to be a boat load of spectators. Yes, spectators! Those Mothers whom had come along with their child from older grades, that had no intention of putting on skates themselves, but rather sitting, watching, and even laughing at those of us who dared to try it out. What I had origionally thought was going to be an afternoon of fun, teaching Brooklyn how to skate, had now turned into my worst nightmare. Every imaginable thought and doubt went through my mind and I debated joining them, but then swallowed my pride and realized that I didn't want Brooklyn to miss out on learing a fun new sport and in truth, when I carefully scanned who all who were there, I realized that most of them were actually friends of mine and that there were only a small handful of them that I didn't know. As it turns out, I actually inspired a lot of them to put skates on themselves and to give it a try. It wasn't long before the floor was crowded with not only 80 some plus students, but also moms and dads who were having the time of their life.
It turned out to be a very enjoyable afternoon. Brooklyn, who had only gone once before, was soon "walking" with her skates everywhere with her classmates. The instructor told them that if they could learn to "walk, walk, slide" then very soon they would be skating everywhere. What an adorable site they made, holding hands and helping each other learn this together. And by next time, perhaps she will even be able to roller skate. I'm glad I went and very glad that I rolled back in time to some very special memories that I have.





3 comments:
Good for you Valerie for putting your daughters happiness ahead of your own fear...and what a great end result. I hope that I would have done the same thing! Kids enjoy everything so much more when parents get in there and do things with them and it makes you a "cool" parent in your childrens eyes. Go Mom!
From "Queen 1".....(inside joke to my sister)
I am glad you rediscovered one of the fun things from childhood. Way to go learning how to post multiple pictures!
You're braver than I am! I take my kids to homeschool skate every month but I've never had the nerve to get out on the floor myself. But, then, I never really learned to skate as a child... so I really would make a fool of myself I betcha!
Post a Comment